Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sweet Chrome Chicago

I suspect the reason behind Google's very generous offer of 100MB/month Verizon 3G for the Pilot Program is a simple one: Even if you have wifi at home and work and most of the places you go, there will still be times when you can't get online, namely for the 20 seconds or so it takes to locate a hotspot. Let's face it, the device is pretty much useless without an internet connection, and I think they just want people to be able to log on if they haven't had a chance to get the wifi password yet.

Still, I was instructed to kick the tires on this sucker, so I'm currently posting from Highway 57 N on the way to Chicago. I'm getting 3 bars and it's still pretty snappy. Even Facebook is loading as fast as it does at home.

I can't help but be reminded of Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day, typing on his laptop while his dad drives into Washington, and somehow he's connected to the internet. "One day I'll be that cool," I told myself, and what do you know.

Before I pack things up again (I get carsick), I want to mention that I left the old Asus back at home and I've taken my CR-48 on the road with me as my only computer. If this isn't a good test of one's abilities to cut ties with legacy software and commit to the web, I don't know what is. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that Jeff Goldblum comment was hilarious. He'd be jealous if he could see you now. Good luck working without your other computer :D!

    ReplyDelete